Thread: Barrack Obama = Jimmy Carter 2.0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Fiend
    Obama didn't catch Osama. Bush caught Osama, it jus thappened to come with someone else sitting in the chair.

If I build a house but let you cut the ribbon before we move in, who really built it?

As far as healthcare being a "right", we're only entitled to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. If I choose to eat steak and bacon all my life, why should it be my neighbors responsibilty to pay my healthcare costs? People make choices, they shouldn't be bailed out when they make bad ones. Personal responsibility is missing in USA.

If they wanted to fix healthcare they should worry about increasing competition in the healthcare industry to drive down prices instead of mandating coverage so no one can afford it. Let companies compete across states and let the best company win. There are plenty of other things that could help fix healthcare, but this would be a great first step.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan4GS View Post
    As far as healthcare being a "right", we're only entitled to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.
    1. That's your opinion.
    2. I think healthcare would fall under the "life" part. If you get sick and die because you couldn't afford to go to the hospital you've been stripped of your life.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    1. That's your opinion.
    2. I think healthcare would fall under the "life" part. If you get sick and die because you couldn't afford to go to the hospital you've been stripped of your life.
    Just FYI (and I don't know where you're from), here in America you have the right to care at hospitals, regardless of if you can pay for it. Ultimately the tax payer would get the bill.

And as for the "rights"...well maybe that's just an American thing. Universally is highly debatable and I doubt humanity would ever be able to come to a consensus.

Just FYI (and I don't know where you're from), here in America you have the right to care at hospitals, regardless of if you can pay for it. Ultimately the tax payer would get the bill.

And as for the "rights"...well maybe that's just an American thing. Universally is highly debatable and I doubt humanity would ever be able to come to a consensus.
    Then why does people need health insurance? And do you really have the right to advanced medical care and not just emergency medical care?

If the US really had universal right to all inclusive hospital care then why is there a need for Obama Care and why is it such a controversy?
    Why is there a problem when insurance companies revoke insurance mid treatment because they claim it was a preexisting condition?
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Barrack Obama = Jimmy Carter 2.0

Agreed.. Both took office after the previous administration totally screwed the country up...

I thought that was the case when I was young. Learned that was not the case when I followed a friend to the hospital with a head injury. No tests for concussion no tests for fracture. He had been hospitalized before so they knew that he did not have resources. I suspect they would not have let him die on location. If you can stagger they will direct you to stagger out the door. Unless, of course, you have the right plastic card. A drivers license or state ID is not the right card.
    Tax payers probably did get the bill for the time it took to kick him out. Certainly the cost of a useless ambulance ride that the police decided was necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Elldallan View Post
    inalienable right to treatment for any condition that could potentially be life threatening, which nearly any illness can be/will be if it goes untreated.
    I broke a nail on my middle finger. It bled a little bit. I enthusiastically reported it to my manager and her manager and the manager of another department. It was a good day.

I did not get any treatment. I did not get to go to either the workmanscomp doctor or my doctor. Not even a nurse or medical technician. It went untreated. I have not died yet.
    Last edited by pathetic sheep; 17-10-2015 at 02:08.

Quote Originally Posted by pathetic sheep View Post
    I thought that was the case when I was young. Learned that was not the case when I followed a friend to the hospital with a head injury. No tests for concussion no tests for fracture. He had been hospitalized before so they knew that he did not have resources. I suspect they would not have let him die on location. If you can stagger they will direct you to stagger out the door. Unless, of course, you have the right plastic card. A drivers license or state ID is not the right card.
    Tax payers probably did get the bill for the time it took to kick him out. Certainly the cost of a useless ambulance ride that the police decided was necessary.

I broke a nail on my middle finger. It bled a little bit. I enthusiastically reported it to my manager and her manager and the manager of another department. It was a good day.

I did not get any treatment. I did not get to go to either the workmanscomp doctor or my doctor. Not even a nurse or medical technician. It went untreated. I have not died yet.
    Aye.
    #magi

A broken nail is clearly not an illness, nor can it even reasonably be considered to be an injury. But for example something as simple as the measles can technically kill you if gone untreated, it's not common but it happens, and rubella if a woman contracts it during pregnancy can cause still birth or birth defects in the baby. Many things that are considered minor by modern society actually killed people regularly earlier in history, because of the lack of adequate healthcare.
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Enthusiast
    I thought in countries like mine where healthcare is 'free,' one goes to the hospital in an emergency and gets treated. One does not expect to go to Accident & Emergancy only to hear 'go home' unless death is imminent.

Post Demon
    ... If I choose to eat steak and bacon all my life, why should it be my neighbors responsibility to pay my healthcare costs? ...

Sounds like a fairly good principle in general. I'm glad to hear you support the ACA and it's change to penalize those that wanted to simply skip paying for insurance and let all the rest of us pay for their treatment.

What's that, you thought you were arguing against the ACA? How odd - the hospital can't turn you (the hypothetical you) away, and after they ruin your finances, now you want them to bill me, the taxpayer?! I say you don't have the right to gamble *my* money that *you* won't get sick.

Now, if you seriously want to contentiously object to having health insurance, I'm perfectly happy to let you sign a form that says you consent to be left dying on the steps of the hospital for "religious" reasons if you are unable to pay. It'll take a few years, but then all those idiots will be dead and we can stop having this discussion. Unfortunately, the rest of the country here is too soft against crass stupidity, and as such insists we treat you anyway.

I've known some people that couldn't afford health insurance till ACA kicked in. In one case, the inability to pay for health insurance lead to a (somewhat) life-threatening situation - because sometimes you heal, but the 1 year old you didn't feed for a week sure doesn't. It happens here, in the richest country, every day. To *millions*, if I'm not mistaken. (Not fact checked - plus definitions are fuzzy.)

If you (anyone, not op/quoted) think your lucky birth, lucky education, and good employment makes you "better", your worldview is hopeless and your self awareness almost non-existent. You are successful because you were born middle-class or affluent, and are white. It doesn't work at the bottom of the economic pile - and I know most of them work harder every week than I am ever likely to in my whole life.

ACA is a godsend to those stuck down there. "Mandate" my eye - many *jump* at the chance to get hold of insurance. Just as soon as it doesn't take away from getting to eat lunch. The uninsured numbers would be lower still if some republican states didn't refuse the federal money to expand medicare, intentionally letting people get ill and sometimes die for the sake of scoring "political points". If you ever wonder why there is such vitriol in US politics - the fact that one party is accessory to murder has something to do with it.

And now, I go listen to music to calm back down from a mix of rage and despair at the stupidity of the world.
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    Sounds like a fairly good principle in general. I'm glad to hear you support the ACA and it's change to penalize those that wanted to simply skip paying for insurance and let all the rest of us pay for their treatment.

What's that, you thought you were arguing against the ACA? How odd - the hospital can't turn you (the hypothetical you) away, and after they ruin your finances, now you want them to bill me, the taxpayer?! I say you don't have the right to gamble *my* money that *you* won't get sick.

Now, if you seriously want to contentiously object to having health insurance, I'm perfectly happy to let you sign a form that says you consent to be left dying on the steps of the hospital for "religious" reasons if you are unable to pay. It'll take a few years, but then all those idiots will be dead and we can stop having this discussion. Unfortunately, the rest of the country here is too soft against crass stupidity, and as such insists we treat you anyway.

I've known some people that couldn't afford health insurance till ACA kicked in. In one case, the inability to pay for health insurance lead to a (somewhat) life-threatening situation - because sometimes you heal, but the 1 year old you didn't feed for a week sure doesn't. It happens here, in the richest country, every day. To *millions*, if I'm not mistaken. (Not fact checked - plus definitions are fuzzy.)

If you (anyone, not op/quoted) think your lucky birth, lucky education, and good employment makes you "better", your worldview is hopeless and your self awareness almost non-existent. You are successful because you were born middle-class or affluent, and are white. It doesn't work at the bottom of the economic pile - and I know most of them work harder every week than I am ever likely to in my whole life.

ACA is a godsend to those stuck down there. "Mandate" my eye - many *jump* at the chance to get hold of insurance. Just as soon as it doesn't take away from getting to eat lunch. The uninsured numbers would be lower still if some republican states didn't refuse the federal money to expand medicare, intentionally letting people get ill and sometimes die for the sake of scoring "political points". If you ever wonder why there is such vitriol in US politics - the fact that one party is accessory to murder has something to do with it.

And now, I go listen to music to calm back down from a mix of rage and despair at the stupidity of the world.
    None of that made any sense to me... it just seemed angry.
    #magi

Thread Information