Quote Originally Posted by Dan4GS View Post
If I build a house but let you cut the ribbon before we move in, who really built it?
If the house you built was only half fisnished, crumbling and 100% uninhabitable when you turned it over then yes the one who took over it has a significant claim to the "glory".

Quote Originally Posted by Dan4GS View Post
As far as healthcare being a "right", we're only entitled to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.
Jefferson wrote: "We hold these truths to be sacred & undeniable; that all men are created equal & independent, that from that equal creation they derive rights inherent & inalienable, among which are the preservation of life, & liberty, & the pursuit of happiness"

So that would imply to give you an inalienable right to treatment for any condition that could potentially be life threatening, which nearly any illness can be/will be if it goes untreated.

Quote Originally Posted by khronosschoty View Post
I'm not sure I'd say we have a "right" to health care but I do feel 100% that we have an obligation to care for everyone.
Article 3 and the expansion in Article 25 of the Universal Declaration of Human rights would disagree with you.

Plus once you cover everything that can be considered life threatening as per the "Life, Liberty & the pursuit of happiness" it would simply be cheaper for a society to include everything else than to cater to a separate system for everything else. Plus wouldn't a painful or debilitating but otherwise non-lethal illness go against the inalienable "pursuit of happiness"?