Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is it me or this code has no chance ?

Veteran
    well.. on the old code.. even if I looked at the KD page, the provs that didnt login, no ops on them, no msgs, hits, did NOT update the acres and nw.

So.. if I look at the KD page, and.. update it, it needs to show every prov updated (so it can show the nw and acres). The acres and nw can't be update in the KD page if the whole prov isnt updated, becouse the nw depends on soldiers, specs, elites, thives,science, etc...

Veteran
    That message is posted on Nov 5th ..and they operate in GTM (0 GMT).

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    well.. on the old code.. even if I looked at the KD page, the provs that didnt login, no ops on them, no msgs, hits, did NOT update the acres and nw.

So.. if I look at the KD page, and.. update it, it needs to show every prov updated (so it can show the nw and acres). The acres and nw can't be update in the KD page if the whole prov isnt updated, becouse the nw depends on soldiers, specs, elites, thives,science, etc...
    yes, i think you are correct in that - provs aren't updated until some interaction is done with that kingdom. This is my understanding anyway.

Veteran
    ah, it can be that prov isn't updated at the tick maybe.. but if all it takes is that a single prov to look at the KD page to update the whole KD... well that's something that can happen very very often every hour.

Also.. I didn't had the time to notice, but are the charts updated every hour ? If so.. than for sure each prov is updated at the tick...

yes, the charts are updated every hour, but apparently this does not mean that every province is.

Veteran
    forgot to tell where I'm aiming, although it is easy to see..

If this is one of the most important problems that keeps the game down.. than I am sure we can live with the old system of update like we did so far.

Veteran
    I think it is Bishop, because if I looked at the rankings.. I've seen my KD nw. Than if I looked at my KD page it was the same (all provs were updated because I was checking that trying to see if any inactives - found out I couldnt tell by than anymroe with this new code) .

So.. the rankings are updated at the tick - it's no way somebody updated first the KD page by looking at it.. and than the rankings to update.

Enthusiast
    forgot to tell where I'm aiming, although it is easy to see..

If this is one of the most important problems that keeps the game down.. than I am sure we can live with the old system of update like we did so far.
    Agreed. Why is the new tick updating so important? The deficiencies in the old system really weren't that big of a deal.

Post Fiend
    As long as we have a game like the old code, we're happy :)

Veteran
    Why don't B&S ask for some help... or get help from the others developers working for jolt or something.

As they said themselves they didn't manage to solve anything yet.. and they hope that breakthrough .. that idea to modify the code so it works, block scripts or something. They can go on for weeks without seeing the problem ...

Why don't B&S ask for some help... or get help from the others developers working for jolt or something.

As they said themselves they didn't manage to solve anything yet.. and they hope that breakthrough .. that idea to modify the code so it works, block scripts or something. They can go on for weeks without seeing the problem ...
    Apparently they have a lead though, who knows, the future is a huge mystery.
    "Go back to the gym because you f'king suck at utopia, noob." -Godly

My classic black theme for Utopia - Updated 5/13/15

Quote Originally Posted by darkl1ght View Post
    Unfortunately, no amount of razes will improve your war record
    Greatest strategy thread/question of all-time.

Veteran
    it's like a math exercise: if you have a mistake somewhere you need to review it many many times before spoting the mistake. If you ask somebody else to have a look at it (someone that doesn't necesarly knows more than you) he will see it right away.

It's no shame to ask for help (if you have someone to ask).

I'm not arguing with you buddy, I think they should seek some help as well!
    "Go back to the gym because you f'king suck at utopia, noob." -Godly

My classic black theme for Utopia - Updated 5/13/15

Quote Originally Posted by darkl1ght View Post
    Unfortunately, no amount of razes will improve your war record
    Greatest strategy thread/question of all-time.

Forum Addict
    "Delphi records serialized into text files" > "DBMS" ?

if the old utopia could update 30k provs without stopping the game for 2-5 minutes every tick, something must be wrong with database or how it is accessed. the nice and clean seperation of code offered by using a framework like django is useless if the data access is slow. :(

maybe its time to dig out the old code and have another good look at how the problem of updating provs was solved.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebozo View Post
    It's just you. I am a developer and I can tell you that this thing is pretty normal. The thing is BETA. It's normal that stress brings out all kinds of bugs that are not visible under a light load. And, looking at it realistically it has not been so long. Its been a week or so. This is not so much time in development - it just gets quite escalated in the forums. This is all without taking into account any malicious interventions and in the context of BETA.

Whether or not it was the right thing to roll out and impose the BETA on all the users is an entirely different story... I personally think it was a bad idea to say the least.
    Which is why Testing 101 teaches you to stress-test your vital systems before bringing them live. The BETA excuse is a poor excuse in this case. Yes, its beta, we have to expect poor behaviour at times because of anamolies etc, but load is something you CAN test for in advance, and as such you should. Beta is no excuse for not doing so.

(obv. theres a limit to what scenarios etc. you can test under the stress-tests, just as theres a limit to what you scenarios you can test period, but this appears to be related to the core, and thus shouldve been covered by pre-release testing).

Thread Information