Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dwarf a/m strat

dwarf a/m strat

Alright i used to play this game 3-4 years ago, and a lot has changed.
    I made myself a dwarf mystic, and I'm trying to figure out a good draft for a war time build. obviously this isn't something set in stone, but if I hear some folks critique this build I can have a better idea of what works, and what don't before I find out the hard way.
    currently I've just popped oop, and trying to pump elites, so i have:
    25% banks
    25%armories
    20%guilds
    13% towers
    10%watch towers
    7%farms
    I got around 40dpa without elites.

My thoughts on a war strat:
    7%farms
    25% training grounds
    10% barracks
    15% hospitals
    10% guilds
    15%towers
    15% watchtowers
    3% dungeons

If it wasn't wartime I would have more guilds to keep wpa, and i would probibly go down to 10% watchtowers, and after elites I will keep some banks/build schools to get some science up

Also a few random questions while I'm at it.
    Should a dwarf a/m run any thieves maybe .5 tpa, or are watchtowers gonna work.
    Should I run a 50% draft even though it will reduce building effectivness to (guessing) 120%

all suggestions are great

you will need tpa with those watchtowers. also, 50% draft wont cut it far. +60% ftw. tho you need to get some nice leets before youre dorfie is close to mean.

If you go in war with me with 50% draft ill make sure i fix it for you on the first wave :p Dwarf has the advantage of being able to run high draft compared to other races, i would set my goal on 65% even at the start.

so the dwarves 130% building effectiveness really ends up meaning that they can raise draft up and keep effectiveness at 100%. I did notice that building effectivness was rather disproportionate when compared to how many jobs are not filled.
    Also I will raise .5tpa for now, and consider 1tpa
    thanks

yeah pretty much what they have been saying as far as draft rate 60% minimum. im an orc with 12% build sci and i run 64% draft with 90% build eff. Being a dwarf you can push your draft rate much higher. you really dont need dungeons,either. as a dwarf you already have the BE so you wont need the extra workers. I would put those 3% into your hospitals so you save leets you make(and therefore $$$ :) )

pump magic sci, and food sci(so you can lower farm % further), then put the rest into pop sci.

that should make you a pretty powerful dorf.

get around 1-1.5tpa with those watch towers to get more theif defense,

pump leets like you are.
    Anzac ftw

so strange. 6000 peasants, 9000 needed for max efficiency, and only 5% less efficiency from it.

BE takes a while to rise/fall

every peasent works 1.5 jobs though.
    Anzac ftw

Enthusiast
    I really wouldnt recommend dwarf a/m at all and i seriously think you should make a new prov and pick other race setup. I also didnt play for years and picked dwarf this age and tbh its alot weaker than it used to be. with ok sci, merchant and monarch bonuses i can pretty much keep a solid prov and epa up, but it takes alot more work/time than i'd like to. but if u start midage without any sci, leets nor income bonuses and u wanna play as dwarf hybrid..well its gonna be hard. i have a dwarf mystic in my kd as well, who also started few weeks late, and guy is crying to me on daily bases. Anyways u can do it and get dwarf a/m working pretty fast if u are good and in good kd, but if u are in ghetto and plan to pump those leets while still being on decient draft rate...well its gonna take bloody ages. and dwarf has no mage bonuses anyway, but u still need loads of towers, WTs etc...

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by hint View Post
    I really wouldnt recommend dwarf a/m at all and i seriously think you should make a new prov and pick other race setup. I also didnt play for years and picked dwarf this age and tbh its alot weaker than it used to be. with ok sci, merchant and monarch bonuses i can pretty much keep a solid prov and epa up, but it takes alot more work/time than i'd like to. but if u start midage without any sci, leets nor income bonuses and u wanna play as dwarf hybrid..well its gonna be hard. i have a dwarf mystic in my kd as well, who also started few weeks late, and guy is crying to me on daily bases. Anyways u can do it and get dwarf a/m working pretty fast if u are good and in good kd, but if u are in ghetto and plan to pump those leets while still being on decient draft rate...well its gonna take bloody ages. and dwarf has no mage bonuses anyway, but u still need loads of towers, WTs etc...

Sir, no offense intended, but you're doing it wrong then. DW might not have a direct income bonus, but while you've got banks early on that BE will act like an income bonus. Free buildings don't hurt either. A dw a/m should be pumping wizzies like mad right oop and those expensive leets mean that you really shouldn't really be bothered with them too terribly much anyway. They're nice when you can afford them, but you can get your draft up high enough that you don't really lose too much by not having tons of leets right away. The dw thievery weakness can also be made up for with science, 1.5 tpa, and a possibly few WTs pretty easily. Dorf tanks really well with fog and that instant high BE, so get lots of offense, GS, and hospitals to minimize losses and just take anything that hits you in war.

Basically:
    1. Don't worry if you can't afford to quickly pump elites, your draft will treat you well until you can.
    2. Thief sci and a decent tpa can easily keep you fairly well covered from thieves.
    3. Wizzies. You're mystic so you want lots of them and fast so you can trade in guilds for towers real quick. I like 30% guilds for the first week or so if you're not going right into war, but maybe that's a bit excessive.
    4. 30% more effective armories make leets a lot less painful for dwarves to pump, you want that.
    5. Once you start to get those expensive leets you need to keep them. Build hospitals.
    6. Fog. It should go on right as soon as you're oop and shouldn't stop until the age ends.

When in war you'll want lots of rax and GS.That high wpa makes it hard for them to MV you and get rid of fog and anyone that hits you without MV first will get 3 hours extra attack time from fog. Combine this with a good attack time and you'll be hard to hurt in war.

Does that cover DW A/M? Dwarf doesn't make a particularly good mage, but DOES do awesome things as an attacker with good mage capability.

edit: another note, you can easily get 70%+ draft rate and still get a good BE with DW. Take advantage of that, draft lots of your pezzies.
    Last edited by TipTripTrap; 20-12-2009 at 23:52.
    Quote Originally Posted by freemehul View Post
    you're like some davidian branch.
    TipTripTrap, proud branch davidian since freemehul convinced me to convert.

I apologize profusely in advance for any possible offense that could be caused by perceived sarcasm in this post. Sorry again, please enjoy your stay in this thread. Thank you for your patience.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TipTripTrap View Post
    Sir...

Yes, dwarf is 2nd best economy race in game, free build and BE bonus make it very verstale race as well with alot of ways to play around. But words like 70% draft, 1.5 tpa, good wpa etc dont add up as easly as ppl think they do. Problem with 70% draft isint with BE, problem is that u make no income at all on 70% draft. prov is basicly alot more damaged and vulnerable on so low pez as well. So how do get there? How pointlful is that time wasted to get there? and u say u dont need all leets, ofc u dont, but keeping even 50-50 with os is hard. anyways midage...take he gets 26 ppa..70% draft leaves 18 mpa, take 3 to wpa and u are left with 5 pez pa. even with some banks and sci, that cant be more than 15 gcpa. ur army on 200% would take 18 gca, fine 9 gcpa if u run on 100%. susp sci is 4.5...

and that mpa, take 8 for dspa(for 40 dpa) and 2 tpa for thief prot, and u are left with what? 8 mpa left, if u split it between epa and ospa thats 20 opa from ospa and 28 from epa, 48 opa raw, max 60 mod, cant even break prolly urself with troops home with that. and prov has no economy left whatsoever, getting some incoming land birthed up would even take over a day. anyways if u want good numbers out of dwarf, u need to go over the top with stuff like draft etc, and there is a reason why its not smart. btw my own dwarf prov is fine 40 dpa 90 opa 2 wpa, great economy high GS straight attacker tank prov, i can take and do everything i want with it and its fun, but ive been working on it way way more than i would have liked to. its just been wasted time for me. and i got all income bonues possibly out there to help me with it.

anyways im just saying as a/m dwarf sucks ass, especially if u start at midage.
    Last edited by hint; 21-12-2009 at 09:55.

you've made your point, hint, you cant play dwarf, but dont blame it on the race...

im running 80 opa, 40 dpa (w/o elites) 1.5 tpa and wpa, and kicking ass. (im warrior though)

aslong as you dont get the stupid idea of training elites during war/hostile everything should work out...

Quote Originally Posted by ThZ View Post
    you've made your point, hint, you cant play dwarf, but dont blame it on the race...

im running 80 opa, 40 dpa (w/o elites) 1.5 tpa and wpa, and kicking ass. (im warrior though)

aslong as you dont get the stupid idea of training elites during war/hostile everything should work out...
    Lol, your prov is not even close to being optimum, it's just an average province. hint does have a point there. He backs it up with numbers. The count on mpa, TPA, WPA and Peasants per acre is absolutely correct.

hint was talking about Dwarf A/M. You're nowhere a Mage at all. with 1.5 WPA. You're pretty much just a pure attacker without any T/M capability. To prove my point about your prov being average, take a low 27 ppa (with this late into age, should be 28, but let's just take 27). Take away 8 peasants per acre, you get 16 mpa and 1.5 TPA and WPA.

Spilt it between 7 dspa and 9 epa, you get an easy 40 dpa (w/o elites) and 90 opa. So, in essence, you're way below optimal. And these figure here, I don't even need a spreadsheet to prove my point, just some simple calculation and common sense.

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by Doom Scythe View Post
    Lol, your prov is not even close to being optimum, it's just an average province. hint does have a point there. He backs it up with numbers. The count on mpa, TPA, WPA and Peasants per acre is absolutely correct.

hint was talking about Dwarf A/M. You're nowhere a Mage at all. with 1.5 WPA. You're pretty much just a pure attacker without any T/M capability. To prove my point about your prov being average, take a low 27 ppa (with this late into age, should be 28, but let's just take 27). Take away 8 peasants per acre, you get 16 mpa and 1.5 TPA and WPA.

Spilt it between 7 dspa and 9 epa, you get an easy 40 dpa (w/o elites) and 90 opa. So, in essence, you're way below optimal. And these figure here, I don't even need a spreadsheet to prove my point, just some simple calculation and common sense.
    math fail ftw =)
    Deliverance -> secrets -> anzac -> mercy -> rage -> "ghetto"

Ok i've been playing dwarf for a while now, and it's a blast. I can run 65% draft with 110% effeciency and 2 wpa without sciences. My goal is 3 wpa. I run 1/3 def specs, and 2/3 elites. People can't break me unless they suicide. which someone actually did, and their whole KD was in arms just because i hit him back 3 times :-P.
    3wpa is working just fine for me at 1000 acers. but theives eat me up.
    I heard some different ideas. should i run 2 tpa, and get rid of the watchtowers, or should I replace them with theives dens? should i look into running more then 2 tpa even??

Also dwarves get fog. you all punch your numbers. Fog ftw.

Thread Information