Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 88 homeless in Norway's biggest city. US: 1 out of 200

Forum Addict

88 homeless in Norway's biggest city. US: 1 out of 200

and they are all junkies who kinda chose to sleep on the street. This was found out by the Salvation Army who went out every night for 4 weeks to count. In addition, there's some gypsees and immigrants, but on any night, the total number of homeless(people who slept outside) including those groups never surpassed 100.
    More people live in shelters though, but the number isn't very high.

88! If you doubled that number, you would get the number for the whole of Norway because Oslo is the absolute number 1 in this, and by far the largest city.

In the US, 1 out of every 200 people use a shelter of some kind and will be forced to sleep on the street from time to time, or more often than that. A VERY high number.

So, why is Obama so bad? He wants to help these guys, the Republicans want to leave them to die in a ditch and only let themselves prosper. Don't we all deserve a chance?
    ABS vs Rangers

Go read Atlas Shrugged.

I agree with the Republicans here.
    "Go back to the gym because you f'king suck at utopia, noob." -Godly

My classic black theme for Utopia - Updated 5/13/15

Quote Originally Posted by darkl1ght View Post
    Unfortunately, no amount of razes will improve your war record
    Greatest strategy thread/question of all-time.

I have been homeless before, it is an awful thing.

88 people is a pretty damn low number! What is Obama doing that is so bad stoffi? I live in Australia so i don't really know what this is about.
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Clearly norway is the best country in the world! How did I just find that Oslo has 1.4 homeless people per 1,000 inhabitants?
    Homeless people have been around in the US longer than Obama.

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by lastunicorn View Post
    Clearly norway is the best country in the world! How did I just find that Oslo has 1.4 homeless people per 1,000 inhabitants?
    Homeless numbers started to rise long before Obama got in power.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio86 View Post
    I have been homeless before, it is an awful thing.

88 people is a pretty damn low number! What is Obama doing that is so bad stoffi? I live in Australia so i don't really know what this is about.
    Obama isn't doing anything wrong, he's trying to do the right things by making the rich tax as much as normal people(The Buffet Law, or whatever it's called). This is something Republicans are against, they seem to WANT rich people to tax less, flat tax for them is a no go.

I could also mention the Health reform.

The thing Norway and countries such as Sweden and Finland do right, is that they moved away from the 19th century where the general conception was that poor people were lazy and probably deserved it. In the US, that attitude is still very visible. Poor people aren't lazy and deserve it, they have struck a hard time in life and can't get out, or they are born into it. USA today reminds us of 18th and 19th century England, the very country people fled from to get to the States, a society somewhat ruled by Social-Darwinisn or Determinism, people are borned into poverty and have few ways of getting out of it. Their future is pretty much determined from birth(thereby the word 'Determinism'), which means social mobility is low in the lower classes.

Very few people choose to be poor, and it's rarely because they are lazy. If they only were helped back on their feet, they would become assets to the country, pay taxes, buy good, stimulate the economy, get off welfare(if you even want to call it that in the US) and live good lives.

The best countries in the world to live in are all in the North, Canada, Norway, Iceland, Sweden and Finland. The US today has tens of millions of poor ppl who can't stimulate the economy and live off minimum wages equalling what I make in 10 minutes of an hour as untrained labour.

At least Obama TRIES to do something with some of this, but he keeps getting shot down, even by those who will benefit from his labours.

The best solution would be to just let the above mentioned countries take over government of the US. ;)
    ABS vs Rangers

Forum Addict

http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/os...t-6747914.html

This is a Norwegian link, but I can translate some:

Over en periode p? fire uke i oktober telte de 88 personer som tilbrakte natten utend?rs.

Over a period of four weeks in October, they(The Salvation Army) counted 88 persons who spent the night outdoors.

These are ALL hardcore junkies. The junkie problem is there and that's a huge disgrace to this country. Walking down the Parade street in Oslo, you are overwhelmed by all the junkies and gypsees.
    ABS vs Rangers

I'd say that the reason the north has so few people homeless sleeping outside is because it's cold there. If I was homeless in Canada I'd hitchhike south.

Forum Addict
    I'd say that the reason the north has so few people homeless sleeping outside is because it's cold there. If I was homeless in Canada I'd hitchhike south.
    Lol.... It gets pretty cold in the US as well, poor excuse. Besides, most Norwegian cities don't have a very cold climate in the winter, coastal climate fueled by the Gulf Stream. New York is a lot colder than the 2nd biggest city in Norway , the city I live in, in Western Norway. Hardly anyone lives up North(the Northern half of the country), only 300000 people and there's no homeless people up there. If you're poor, you get help.
    ABS vs Rangers

Forum Addict
    I suspect a large(although obviously not all) part of this has to do with the difference in military activity between the two countries. A significant amount of homeless people in the US are veterans whos PTSD was not properly treated upon returning from duty. Luckily, this is an issue(veterans affairs) that is increasingly gaining support by both parties.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by stoffi View Post
    Homeless numbers started to rise long before Obama got in power.

Obama isn't doing anything wrong, he's trying to do the right things by making the rich tax as much as normal people(The Buffet Law, or whatever it's called). This is something Republicans are against, they seem to WANT rich people to tax less, flat tax for them is a no go.

I could also mention the Health reform.

The thing Norway and countries such as Sweden and Finland do right, is that they moved away from the 19th century where the general conception was that poor people were lazy and probably deserved it. In the US, that attitude is still very visible. Poor people aren't lazy and deserve it, they have struck a hard time in life and can't get out, or they are born into it. USA today reminds us of 18th and 19th century England, the very country people fled from to get to the States, a society somewhat ruled by Social-Darwinisn or Determinism, people are borned into poverty and have few ways of getting out of it. Their future is pretty much determined from birth(thereby the word 'Determinism'), which means social mobility is low in the lower classes.

Very few people choose to be poor, and it's rarely because they are lazy. If they only were helped back on their feet, they would become assets to the country, pay taxes, buy good, stimulate the economy, get off welfare(if you even want to call it that in the US) and live good lives.

The best countries in the world to live in are all in the North, Canada, Norway, Iceland, Sweden and Finland. The US today has tens of millions of poor ppl who can't stimulate the economy and live off minimum wages equalling what I make in 10 minutes of an hour as untrained labour.

At least Obama TRIES to do something with some of this, but he keeps getting shot down, even by those who will benefit from his labours.

The best solution would be to just let the above mentioned countries take over government of the US. ;)
    You fail epicly. A slump? True some are, but the druggies and drunks deserve what they got least down here in new orleans. As for saying but what about treatment... Blah blah blah heroin addicts staying clean is like 1 1,000 and theres no way a drunk can stay sober in new orleans. And its also been found food stamps and wrlfare are in the top for fraudulent claims.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Topsy View Post
    I suspect a large(although obviously not all) part of this has to do with the difference in military activity between the two countries. A significant amount of homeless people in the US are veterans whos PTSD was not properly treated upon returning from duty. Luckily, this is an issue(veterans affairs) that is increasingly gaining support by both parties.
    Failure the % of homeless vets in America has dtayed steady with the avg homeless rate. And if you do resesrch its lowet then 10% of all homeless.

and just a interesting verified fact so far the % of vets returning from Iraq with ptsd is round 20% where as afghanistans is around 8%.food for though
    Last edited by Militaryman; 25-01-2012 at 16:41.

"Veterans make up one in four homeless people in the United States, though they are only 11 percent of the general adult population."
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

This is why it would be so effective to try all of our returning, guilty soldiers for murder. They are better off in prison than on the streets.
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Militaryman View Post
    You fail epicly. A slump? True some are, but the druggies and drunks deserve what they got least down here in new orleans. As for saying but what about treatment... Blah blah blah heroin addicts staying clean is like 1 1,000 and theres no way a drunk can stay sober in new orleans. And its also been found food stamps and wrlfare are in the top for fraudulent claims.

How do I fail?

Drug and alcohol abuse is often a result of your situation.... If your life is hell, then you will find comfort in drugs and alcohol. You have to remove the environments which cause so many people to get lost in drugs and alcohol, and it's a fact that many homeless are not abusing anything at all(in the States).

Welfare is in the interest of the country, you drag people out of the dirt to become productive members of society and by doing this, you don't only help that guy, but you help his kids and their kids as well, and not least your country by letting all those people produce and spend. As it is now, the poor are caught in an endless spiral of poverty, making the US look more like a 19th century country than a 21st century one.

And you wonder why your economy is fekked....

Edit: Ignore Octobrev, he is just trolling.
    ABS vs Rangers

I'm actually dead serious

Thread Information