Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: a nuclear attack in your lifetime?

Quote Originally Posted by Hurlin View Post
    Um yes I do know they where an elected government but they didn't drop the bomb that was the Americans

And I wasn't born then
    Well, the main reason that Americans developed our bombs was because Germany was developing nuclear weapons as well. Fortunately, the Nazis never got finished with theirs, but they were the spark for the Allies' Manhattan Project.

Anyhow, the world has a history of unstable and brutal people coming into power. Hitler, Lenin, Stalin, Nero, and Antiochus Ephphanes just to name a few.
    Retired at one time but no longer retired.

Not worried about nukes.

Im only worried about peak oil.
    "Go back to the gym because you f'king suck at utopia, noob." -Godly

My classic black theme for Utopia - Updated 5/13/15

Quote Originally Posted by darkl1ght View Post
    Unfortunately, no amount of razes will improve your war record
    Greatest strategy thread/question of all-time.

Quote Originally Posted by KuhaN View Post
    Not worried about nukes.

Perhaps governments will think that way and we will be able to have nuclear powered commercial ships... would save tons of oil / be much better for the environment. Surprised North Korea is not mentioned and that India is? I could see India possibly getting nuked by Pakistan, but can not imagine them dropping the next nuke. I could also see NK finally getting a nuclear weapon and then some kind of fail launch, followed by a massive non nuclear retaliation in which the military is 100% destroyed and the country is put into American rule will it is rebuilt...

Man I would be really happy if afterlife is just sitting around in a house watching TV. But the only channel is current events.
    My life is better then yours.

Not worried about nukes.

Well, since there's enough oil in North America to power the US and Canada for a few hundred years yet, I'm not worried about peak oil.

Just have to figure out how to harvest it from the sand properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ordray View Post
    Well, since there's enough oil in North America to power the US and Canada for a few hundred years yet, I'm not worried about peak oil.
    Source plz?
    "Go back to the gym because you f'king suck at utopia, noob." -Godly

My classic black theme for Utopia - Updated 5/13/15

Quote Originally Posted by darkl1ght View Post
    Unfortunately, no amount of razes will improve your war record
    Greatest strategy thread/question of all-time.

Veteran
    you guys are aware we hired the nazi scientists and acquitted any afiliations they had with hitler or the nazi regime?

Quote Originally Posted by Kemia View Post
    you guys are aware we hired the nazi scientists and acquitted any afiliations they had with hitler or the nazi regime?
    Some German scientists, not Nazis. Albert Einstein wasn't a Nazi. Nazis wouldn't help the US, they'd help the Nazis in Germany.

Source plz?
    The current accessible reserves in the US and Canada would only last about 30-40 years, however there are potential reserves in the US that equal about 2 trillion barrels which are currently untapped due mostly to lack of economic methods to extract it. The technology to do it cheaply enough to make it worth the oil companies' while just isn't there yet, but if the crap ever hit the fan I think that we'd find that our scientists could work a bit faster than they are now ;)
    http://kiplinger.com/businessresourc...ty_080630.html

Veteran
    Some German scientists, not Nazis. Albert Einstein wasn't a Nazi. Nazis wouldn't help the US, they'd help the Nazis in Germany.

sorry i meant space program, some of our greatest rocketry came from the nazi scientists (and yes while they were still german scientists, they came over here and our modern world had changed, how do you think we developed nasa? )

if you get access to educated article databases through ebsco or a college or something, look up naca and nasa connection, (maybe try connecting the term with nazi scientist) see what comes up

lemme know cause im curious

Post Fiend
    /////
    Last edited by hllwrld; 04-01-2014 at 22:12.

Quote Originally Posted by hllwrld View Post
    30-40 years until total depletion?
    how many years until depletion of nerves?
    Not total depletion. If the US and Canada used only their "current" reserves, then we'd use all of it in about 30-40 years. The "potential" reserves are currently unaccessable either due to government restrictions, technological shortfalls (too expensive with current technology to be economically viable, but if oil goes high enough that changes), or a combination of the 2. The US alone has 1.5-2 trillion barrels in potential reserves, or enough to drive the US for 200 years.

Post Fiend
    ////
    Last edited by hllwrld; 04-01-2014 at 22:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    That wasn't my point. My point is that it's not impossible for unstable leaders with goals of MASSIVE death to get into power.

But thats every elected government since the dawn of time ?

oh and as a footnote

The German nuclear energy project, (German: Uranprojekt; informally known as the Uranverein; English: Uranium Club), was an attempted clandestine scientific effort led by Germany to develop and produce the atomic weapons during the events of World War II. This program started in April 1939, just months after the discovery of nuclear fission in January 1939, but ended only months later, due to German invasion of Poland, where many notable physicists were drafted into the Wehrmacht. However, the second effort began under the administrative auspices of the Wehrmacht's Heereswaffenamt on the day World War II began (1 September 1939). The program eventually expanded into three main efforts: the Uranmaschine (nuclear reactor), uranium and heavy water production, and uranium isotope separation. Eventually it was assessed that nuclear fission would not contribute significantly to ending the war, and in January 1942, the Heereswaffenamt turned the program over to the Reich Research Council while continuing to fund the program
    Quote Originally Posted by goodz View Post
    Perhaps governments will think that way and we will be able to have nuclear powered commercial ships... would save tons of oil / be much better for the environment. Surprised North Korea is not mentioned and that India is? I could see India possibly getting nuked by Pakistan, but can not imagine them dropping the next nuke. I could also see NK finally getting a nuclear weapon and then some kind of fail launch, followed by a massive non nuclear retaliation in which the military is 100% destroyed and the country is put into American rule will it is rebuilt....

Just wait and let them starve themselves to death

and I mentioned India due to their extreme right wing politics and the on going insanity they have with Pakistan and Pakistan's inability to curb the influence of extremist Islamist

Source plz?
    Yeh Australia is in the same boat ...... my dad has mates that worked on capping the oil reserves they found up the west of Australia in the 60's

They did test drills worked out how big the reserves where and dropped a concrete plug and then went and found the next one ........ rinse repeat.

There's **** loads of natural resources (oil, gas, coal) that governments wont touch until "rainy day" scenarios.
    Last edited by Hurlin; 06-04-2012 at 02:58.
    IMPERIALS KLA

The current accessible reserves in the US and Canada would only last about 30-40 years, however there are potential reserves in the US that equal about 2 trillion barrels which are currently untapped due mostly to lack of economic methods to extract it. The technology to do it cheaply enough to make it worth the oil companies' while just isn't there yet, but if the crap ever hit the fan I think that we'd find that our scientists could work a bit faster than they are now ;)
    http://kiplinger.com/businessresourc...ty_080630.html
    We'd work faster if there was better funding. Funding for science is one of the first things to drop when it should be a number one priority. If only the US understood the intricacies of pumping science to give you the resources for a good military.

Thread Information