Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: No wonder no one plays this game anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Yadda9To5 View Post
    The attitude in the topic is wrong. Yes the topic starter can "learn to play" by listening to all advice. But right now there is no way in hell a noob in a noob kingdom has any chance to compete, no matter how well a prov he builds he'll always be seen as easy land by a random bigger kingdom. Sure he might retal, and that kingdom moves one, but it's a guarantee another kingdom will try again. So how can a noob in a noob kingdom get any chance of achievement? He cant.

Maybe it's the price of utopia being a team game. But currently bad kingdoms make good players (in these kingdoms) bad. Yes, they can move to a better kingdom, etc etc. But it should be possible for new kingdoms to compete, somehow. I'm at a loss how though. More than a few things that need to be done. One is that everyone playing the game has easy access to all knowledge (the wiki isn't comprehensive, a true guide that holds new players and new kingdoms by the hand could help, maybe even go as far auto start wars (like the tournament server) between equal kingdoms). Another thing needed, much more harder to achieve, is to allow all kingdoms to at-least have a basic level of organisation, this means even marginally competent leadership is available to all kingdoms, and i honestly don't see a solution for that. (I've randomned in ghetto's where the monarch goes AFK for days, where the monarch declares wars the are a guaranteed loss, thereby killing moral, and maybe worst, and hardest to achieve, where monarchy holds little authority (half the players in the kingdom just do there own thing, follow their own agenda, and often the monarch is one of them)).

I really enjoy this game, but if i'd started this game in one of the many ghetto's where new players find themselves in nowadays, i wouldn't last a month and would simply quit. Anyone seriously thinking that this game is enjoyable to new players is smoking something real good. Yes, a few get themselves recruited, but I've also seen plenty gheto provs simply drop their activity to only forget about the game.

Ghetto's don't need to be top kingdoms, but they need to be given a goal. Maybe introduce achievements (say have 1 war in the next 3 weeks, grow all provinces to xxx networth, etc) with little rewards.

Lastly: target hunting sucks big time established kingdoms all have their set of targetfinders, but new players can do nothing but browse through kingdom after kingdom after kingdom after kingdom, often not even having a clue what to look for (and what to stay away from). If you ever wanted to implement one more controversial thing to the game: build in a targetfinder, or just give provs a daily list of 25 provinces their size and in more or less equal kingdoms to choose from. It'll make the hurdles to playing the game so much lower.
    Maybe this is part of a bigger problem (again): nowadays, peoples span of attention when entertaining themselves on the pc is short, it's asking to much to have players spend say 15 minutes to browse through utopia. They want an awesome button. Click (attack), click (train), click (build) and see a big popup saying "my lord!!!! Your prov grew 5 inches!! Please come back to repeat tomorrow and collect your reward".

Speaking of hurdles: This game is ancient. Some of this adds to its charm, some of it is, quite frankly, unthinkable in this day and age. Having a very unprofessional looking design, hidden/unexplained mechanics that are to be discovered while playing (no one wants to spends months understanding the game before being able to fully play the game (think how much thieves to send, find out sos/surveys are exact, that learns give little give protection, the whole honor system, etc)), no way to push a player (achievements or tasks) just create an unpolished feel that is hard to look past these days. Look at erepublik (i don't think it can be considered a clone/competition i think it can be mentioned, besides, the clones are a bad example, they suffer the same unpolished feel as utopia) it is much more successful in engaging its players, it looks slicks, gives players tasks, and, unlike utopia, isn't very strategical and therefor boring to me. But it's successfull, and not because it's such an exiting game to play but because it's polished and userfriendly.
    odd ... if these newbie wanna learn ... there are learning channel, staying in the ghetto doesn't help your growth, step out of your shell, there are plenty of kingdom (top) that need players each age. You think the top just grow top player from tree!? odd ... we sit and train them till they are a. ready to move on and make their own kd or b. cont to raid with us.

i can tell you right now, there is a particular someone hitting my kd and expecting a cf, by hitting our smallies and expecting a cf is a wild dream =) ... esp at eoa ... just wait till that fort stance faint away and the fun begin!

Odd of Absalom

Beastblood is #oddplay

˙ppo ǝɹɐ noʎ
    #odd
    Odd is a three-edged sword.
    ( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)

Veteran
    the simple fact that players continue to be this retarded age after age proves how bad this game is run.

if new players have no decent resource to learn game mechanics then the game will not progress (something we've been seeing for 5+ years)

So glad this is my last age
    Last edited by Bishop; 23-04-2012 at 15:25. Reason: Malicious Flaming/Personal Attacks

It'll also be your last post on these forums if you carry on like that.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Postaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by brado View Post
    the simple fact that players continue to be this retarded age after age proves how bad this game is run.

if new players have no decent resource to learn game mechanics then the game will not progress (something we've been seeing for 5+ years)

So glad this is my last age
    Let me guess. Outplayers Empire?

my last age too. g'luck to all.
    Icy 4 8

Quote Originally Posted by E_Boko View Post
    But I enjoy your endless complaining on the forums so much...
    S E C R E T S

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    He's just mad he didn't crown like he promised he would =\

Or maybe because the game mysteriously eats his buildings credits. It's pretty weird, it's like they disappear, but 16 hours later buildings show up. Strange happenings.
    S E C R E T S

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    He's just mad he didn't crown like he promised he would =\
    i might still yet. you never know.

also DHaran...you know what. not worth it.

Palem is probably the only mod that is good with the public. Need more of him modding.
    Last edited by E_Boko; 23-04-2012 at 17:43.
    Icy 4 8

Postaholic
    Honestly, there is a major issue with attack/defense numbers. The vast majority of races have too strongly turtling elites, making upper-conflict extremely hard to initiate except against orc or undead. Meanwhile faery has no attacking power at all yet is in all other ways vastly overpowered (and apparently this imbalance will be added to for next age).

If you play faery you should expect to get hit on your 160 dpa, since you have no offense. And if you play any other race you don't have to make any choice at all between offense or defense, since you can just run lots of elites.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    not if this is your last age ;p

also DHaran...you know what. not worth it.

Palem is probably the only mod that is good with the public. Need more of him modding.
    I'm sorry, am I supposed to be sorry to see someone leaving who insults the people trying to help him? You reported a bug, I asked a question, you called me a retard, and turns out my question answered your "bug". We could use a lot fewer of people like you around here as far as I'm concerned.
    S E C R E T S

Quote Originally Posted by DHaran View Post
    I'm sorry, am I supposed to be sorry to see someone leaving who insults the people trying to help him? You reported a bug, I asked a question, you called me a retard, and turns out my question answered your "bug". We could use a lot fewer of people like you around here as far as I'm concerned.
    shouldnt we keep our lover quarrel to PM or do you like to derail threads :-)

and no DHaran, your response did not answer my bug. i just left it alone because it wasn't worth fighting. next time ill be sure to take screenshots.

Going to pursue your dream of becoming a rapper now?

Im not doubting your skillz.
    "Go back to the gym because you f'king suck at utopia, noob." -Godly

My classic black theme for Utopia - Updated 5/13/15

Quote Originally Posted by darkl1ght View Post
    Unfortunately, no amount of razes will improve your war record
    Greatest strategy thread/question of all-time.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkz Azn View Post
    i can tell you right now, there is a particular someone hitting my kd and expecting a cf, by hitting our smallies and expecting a cf is a wild dream =) ... esp at eoa ... just wait till that fort stance faint away and the fun begin!
    odd ... Someone in my kingdom attacked a SoA prov multiple times and this is the message one of your faeries sent to our monarch before we requested CF: "Things appears to be getting out of hand. What you say to a cf and moving on?" Sender Marchioness Princess Adora the Rogue of She-Ra

Thread Information