Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Changes To Explore...

The Changes To Explore...

This was a huge overcompensation...

We just finished a war and had a few attackers that grew to about 120% of our TMs... But now we can't raze them down effectively *or* grow our TMs... it would take our Faeries 16k soldiers and 5 million gc to explore to the size of our large attackers now.

All this change did is reduce how many wars we can have. We'll have to spend a ton of time in normal relations now, while pure growth KDs are completely unpenalized.

Exploring was too easy last age, for sure. But this is ridiculous. If one of our TMs were to get chained it would take nearly a week and a half to repair, and the fact that TMs can't easily get to the top of the NW chart in our warring KD makes it more likely they will be chained.

Is this game trying to become like a text version of WoW? PvE? Was this tested at all before the change was finalized?

Thumbs up

Worst change to ever have been made in the last few years was the explore formula change from linear to exponential. I bet if i made a poll, it'd get more votes than the utilization change to happiness.
    "Go back to the gym because you f'king suck at utopia, noob." -Godly

My classic black theme for Utopia - Updated 5/13/15

Quote Originally Posted by darkl1ght View Post
    Unfortunately, no amount of razes will improve your war record
    Greatest strategy thread/question of all-time.

Absolutely agree that the change to explore costs was a bonehead move. It's making warring far less desirable for anyone who isn't a pure attacker.

We're in the exact same situation as OP, our attackers are now significantly larger than our TMs who can't explore at all in CF because of the horrendous cost.

Multiplying all the costs of exploring by x4 or x5 in CF/War respectively is overcompensating far too much for the cheap exploring of last age. It would be like throwing a whole cup of salt onto a meal because you thought it wasn't salty enough.

I'm in the 900-1k acre range and having to spend 27 soldiers and 5.5k gold for every single acre is horribly overpowering, especially when needing to grow at least 500 acres. 13.5k soldiers and 2.75mil gold just to be competitive is absolutely impossible in CF.

I could handle the gold cost if the soldier cost was drastically reduced.

Please next time you decide to 'fix' the game, don't overcompensate so much.
    Last edited by Prydain; 27-02-2013 at 21:39.

Can't agree more with that. Yet another change falling short. Developers probably on thought on how to gimp the massive and easy exploring of last age and didn't pay much attention at all about KDs who actually war more than once an age. The part about being below the KD median having cheaper exploring is nice, but with these ridiculous overcompensated changes, it makes no difference to having 25 solds, 5k gc per acre, or 35 solds, 7k gc per acre.

Will probably get banned or this post deleted again.. but w/e.. Battlefields/******, Jubilant Stance after war (basically gets back acres/troops etc to provinces after war is concluded, really is helpful to screwed up provs), speeds up the time before getting ready to next war a lot. It wouldn't be too bad a thing to have something similar in utopia, rather than just an end of war ceasefire.

Quote Originally Posted by KuhaN View Post
    Worst change to ever have been made in the last few years was the explore formula change from linear to exponential. I bet if i made a poll, it'd get more votes than the utilization change to happiness.
    Even those attackers who end a war at 300 acres while the rest of the KD is at 1200-1500 acres will still face ridiculous costs to explore even 100 acres, which still leaves them nowhere near being close to the same size.. Not to mention intra razing causes honor to be lost, so any warring KD going after honor will just be having less options besides doing nothing for 2 weeks to balance out the KD again.

Did you make mills?

Odd of Absalom

Beastblood is #oddplay

˙ppo ǝɹɐ noʎ
    #odd
    Odd is a three-edged sword.
    ( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)

Sir Postalot
    I agree the changes are really really bad and 100% penalize war. Ask any kingdom coming out of a war right now how much they hate it. Just a bad choice by the devs.

Enthusiast
    Happens when you try to paper over the cracks and more start appearing, but if you start making large changes to the game then it stops being utopia and more like a new game so it's hard to find solutions to keep it in a similar mold.

Veteran
    I agree they made it expensive but not impossible.
    Look at the fact also you have +500% br and -50% draft cost this mean you can still explore easy 500a in war end cf pre you need to stack gc for army. ( also if you use mills then the gc is relly np , the soldiers can be aid by kd bigger attackers if you a T/M

Its not as abuseive as last age but its ok .
    at least at 600-1200a you can make it happen.

I think you will run into a problem when you are avrg 3-4k land and kd is avrg 8k , then you have a problem to explore back with out doing extra prep time in normal stance oow!

There is literally 0 chance of this being changed, less qq more pew pew. Explore outside of war.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Quote Originally Posted by Darkz Azn View Post
    Did you make mills?
    Mills do nothing to help with this horrible update.

Mills only reduce the cost of gold for exploring, they don't reduce how many soldiers are needed.. It's the amount of soldiers required that make it virtually impossible to explore. Therefore, Mills are useless.

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    There is literally 0 chance of this being changed, less qq more pew pew. Explore outside of war.
    I mean that's fine, but its discouraging kingdoms from warring or at the very least making warring less frequent, so it seems to go against what we presume are the games goals, based on the changes made the past 4-5 ages all of which promoted warring.

Simply don't allow provinces to explore to 8k acres the first week of the game, it unbalances everything. 14 of the top 18 provinces are located in 2 kingdoms and its not even year 2. The three largest kingdoms are the 3 kingdoms who have not been in conflict.

And on the smaller side of things, the war kingdoms who won their first war are highly unlikely to win their second war vs a kingdom who has not yet warred.

When kingdoms can't compete they disband and stop playing. This is bad.

Changing the pool from 20a/tick to 100a/tick can be a good change, but you have to get the rest of the mechanics right, which they currently are not.
    Last edited by flogger; 27-02-2013 at 23:29.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Prydain View Post
    Mills do nothing to help with this horrible update.

Mills only reduce the cost of gold for exploring, they don't reduce how many soldiers are needed.. It's the amount of soldiers required that make it virtually impossible to explore. Therefore, Mills are useless.
    You are right the mills dont effect the soldiers cost , BUT -50% draft cost in war end cf add arms/mills = almost free draft cost at 1.5 % drafted add pat = 1.95% soldiers drafted / h and you can explore like 25a / h at a, 1500a prov and have +500% br = you max pop each hour make up for the gc you lost and pop grow will also make you more gc , more soldiers.

They dident "make it virtually impossible to explore" they made it harder to 2x your size in war end cf and fortified and build cow/killers
    Any one that know math can calc that its still ok costed to explore at 5x the cost when you have mills/arms +500% br , -50% draft cost in war end cf.

fortified do thats impossible now!

Its bad and good at the same time they fixed war end cf !

Post Fiend
    We finished a war. All we did was spend a day in EOWCF, 12hours in normal and now spending 4 days in fort. Even the guy who was 80 acres will be fully trained and ready for war within 5-6 days. You just have to be smarter about it and stop hiding behind EOWCF.

<3 Bishop
    Snakes
    PewPEW
    Divinity
    Emeriti

Non of my nubs speak for my KD

Thread Information