Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new guy here.

Well, to be honest, not a single one post that brings up Proteus is really helpfull for the new player. So its just derailing the purpose of the thread :< Would be nice if the whole community actually tried to welcome people with open arms instead of making inside jokes. Im flabbergasted that one of the more helpful post are by Anri.

welcome. your monarch and steward are best sources of info as to what you should do.

Quote Originally Posted by Topsy View Post
    Make a prov and dick around with it a bit. Come on to IRC and enter strategy and/or tactics. Ask questions. If you still like it and want to know more after a couple days(you'll prolly wanna restart that orc/rogue anywase), find a kd in recruitment that can help you and has similar activity level to you. There are a few(but not many) good posts in strategy section of these forums as well.

Good luck! Can find me on IRC under same name if you have any particular qs
    Topsy is bang on here, experiment and see how it works, try stuff out and use IRC to get advice from the community.
    Your first prov is going to be so full of mistakes, dont get too attached. Also keep in mind its his PvP, so expect your province to get messed up no matter how hard you try to make it perfect. Its going to happen, you will rebuild and it will happen again, its all part of the game.
    On future
    Work Safe Custom Theme: http://spahrep.github.io/
    Age 55 TFC - Faery Warrior - Triple Crown (acres,nw,honor) <Unicorn Stampede>
    Age 56 TFC - Faery Warrior <Fen of the Unicorn>
    Age 57 TFC - Elf Mystic - 1st TFC Prince :P (S) <Rarity>
    Age 58 HRS (S) - Elf Mystic <Space Truckin - Deep Purple>
    Age 59 HRS (M) / AC (M) Faery Merchant <Cantaloupe>
    Age 60 AC (council) - Human Sage <Cerulean Frost>
    Age 60b Simians - Orc Tact <Cerulean Frost Rebooted>
    Age 61 - Silly Pink Ghetto Cats - Dwarf Merchant <Starship Unicorn Express>
    Age 62 - A Ghetto - Human Sage - 1M+ nw <Cerulean Unicorn Adventure>
    Age 63 - Another Ghetto
    Daughter of the Fifth House, Holder of the Sacred Chalice of Riix, Heir to the Holy Rings of Betazed.

-- The opinions/rants do not represent my kingdom or its affiliates, only me, and i have a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Anri View Post
    I think everyone was rather helpful after all.

Here is mIRC:

Download it!

Go to server:
    irc.utonet.org
    port:6667

Connect -

Type this: /join #tactics
    /join #simians
    /join #strategy
    /join #recruiting

and any other channel u find!

From there you will find helpful people online.
    Without irc you wont learn much, at least not fast enough.
    Little bit off topic here, but i can't connect to irc using your specified settings :( it's saying permission denied. Any tips?

The server setting should be okey. I am using exactly the same and I am online atm. You dont have a firewall or so that blocks the connection?

Quote Originally Posted by Sjippe View Post
    Little bit off topic here, but i can't connect to irc using your specified settings :( it's saying permission denied. Any tips?
    Alternatively, you can use a webchat client such as irc.lc/utonet/utopia/. Hope you get it fixed as soon as possible :)

Thanks guys, Both are not working. Must be a firewall issue then. Maybe my router as well..

Strategy Moderator
    Thanks guys, Both are not working. Must be a firewall issue then. Maybe my router as well..
    try javachat over at www.utopiatemple.com if that wont even start then yea its a router issue

Quote Originally Posted by Persain View Post
    try javachat over at if that wont even start then yea its a router issue
    Thanks, i found the culprit already. its my mcaffee security thing that my employer is enforcing on this computer i'm using. I can't turn it off either so ill have to find a way to bypass its. Employers: always trying to stop fun at work :P

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post
    Well, to be honest, not a single one post that brings up Proteus is really helpfull for the new player. So its just derailing the purpose of the thread :< Would be nice if the whole community actually tried to welcome people with open arms instead of making inside jokes. Im flabbergasted that one of the more helpful post are by Anri.
    In any normal age we give 1-2 players a chance to learn the game. As we speak we have many guys that we are teaching the game but they all ready know the basics and more, its just a bit more of getting used to the climat on how to whore and finetune for a bit more effectiveness and such.

A few days ago i took in a brand new player. We are teaching him from the ground up. He did not know how to use irc, he did not know basic utopia vocabulary, he never used a bot before. We had him setup irc and badirc script, registered him on utonet, taught him how to calculate attacks, taught him what to do in EoWcf (not sure he understands yet cause he mostly done what we told him to do). We teach this guy everything from how to attack to how to ops and build and everything else around utopia. I doubt very much there is a lot of KDs doing this in the "top". I took this player in before many known players that wanted to join us. Call it charity, we are trying to do our part to make utopia a happier enviroment and teach players to get more involved and get a fun aspect of the game.
    I think its a lot more likely this player will learn the game and stay in the game compared to if he had joined some ghetto and got forum guidance.

With that said, Simians does it share. The problem is we cant teach to many new players at once and still perform as good as we want to perform.

Here is an order straight from irc:
    #01 Everyone treat our newest player nicely. He needs teaching from bot, irc, attacking, t/ming and everything. We teach this guy from the ground up so show respect and help new players. /Anri

Everyone treats him nicely and his learning curve is probably way more rapid then most others have in this game.
    Last edited by Anri; 16-04-2013 at 17:00.
    #?

#Pandas

#Simians

K L A
    Kaer Loche Alliance

Real life of Anri - Utopia addict
    http://instagram.com/henke82

Thanks, i found the culprit already. its my mcaffee security thing that my employer is enforcing on this computer i'm using. I can't turn it off either so ill have to find a way to bypass its. Employers: always trying to stop fun at work :P
    Will you use the nickname Sjippe on irc?
    Im more then sure u can find helpful people in a few channels.
    #?

#Pandas

#Simians

K L A
    Kaer Loche Alliance

Forum Fanatic
    You got a smart phone? Download the IRC app called andchat if you have and then you can access IRC at work with same info above to 'get pass' firewall :p (I'm not that good with work firewalls etc!) You can be on 24/7 then as well if you gave WiFi or decent internet bundle :)

Quote Originally Posted by Anri View Post
    In any normal age we give 1-2 players a chance to learn the game. As we speak we have many guys that we are teaching the game but they all ready know the basics and more, its just a bit more of getting used to the climat on how to whore and finetune for a bit more effectiveness and such.

A few days ago i took in a brand new player. We are teaching him from the ground up. He did not know how to use irc, he did not know basic utopia vocabulary, he never used a bot before. We had him setup irc and badirc script, registered him on utonet, taught him how to calculate attacks, taught him what to do in EoWcf (not sure he understands yet cause he mostly done what we told him to do). We teach this guy everything from how to attack to how to ops and build and everything else around utopia. I doubt very much there is a lot of KDs doing this in the "top". I took this player in before many known players that wanted to join us. Call it charity, we are trying to do our part to make utopia a happier enviroment and teach players to get more involved and get a fun aspect of the game.
    I think its a lot more likely this player will learn the game and stay in the game compared to if he had joined some ghetto and got forum guidance.

With that said, Simians does it share. The problem is we cant teach to many new players at once and still perform as good as we want to perform.

Here is an order straight from irc:
    #01 Everyone treat our newest player nicely. He needs teaching from bot, irc, attacking, t/ming and everything. We teach this guy from the ground up so show respect and help new players. /Anri

Everyone treats him nicely and his learning curve is probably way more rapid then most others have in this game.
    Did you also teach him your anti-ABS dogma? :D
    @Sjippe: when you are on irc join channel #warseekers . We have a few dutch guys willing to explain the basics of the game to you.
    Last edited by meta; 17-04-2013 at 15:00. Reason: had to add something useful, not trying to derail thread.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by meta View Post
    Did you also teach him your anti-ABS dogma? :D
    @Sjippe: when you are on irc join channel #warseekers . We have a few dutch guys willing to explain the basics of the game to you.
    I teach everyone i surround myself with to fight absalom. Not because they are the worst douches or anything like that. But because they are the best competition out there. The most fierce, the most organized and they are a bit to powerful in my taste so it kinda turns into powerplay no matter if they like it or not. I will be the first one to drop the absalom hunt when server gets more balanced and try to war more all round and KDs we been wanting to fight for many ages. Thats how Simians played when there was a better balance on the server. So hell ya, til order is restored i will spread propaganda towards abs and teach new people to fight them. :D
    #?

#Pandas

#Simians

K L A
    Kaer Loche Alliance

Thumbs up

Im sorry. I apologize.
    "Go back to the gym because you f'king suck at utopia, noob." -Godly

My classic black theme for Utopia - Updated 5/13/15

Quote Originally Posted by darkl1ght View Post
    Unfortunately, no amount of razes will improve your war record
    Greatest strategy thread/question of all-time.

Thread Information