Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IRC on your smartphone!

Forum Fanatic

IRC on your smartphone!

Making this thread to try and get more of the community active in IRC. A lot of people nowadays have smartphones so being on IRC 24/7 with the Utopian Community can not be a problem. The app does not eat a lot of data but it would still be advised to run it only if you have free mb included within your mobile package and to check before so! So far my IRC app this month has only used 3mb of data but if you are popular it might use more! :P

So I am going to tell you how to set it up / what is best (IMO) - Bare in mind I am using an HTC Desire S so some stuff may be a little different in regards to button locations / names of options etc)

Application to download : AndChat

This is by far the best IRC client available. You can be on multiple servers and in multiple rooms.

Instructions

1) Once installed click on it and you will be greeted by a list of servers, you will need to add the Utopia server. To do this click on the "+" sign you should see along the top (Upon first start up it may be a bit different. Skip this as below I show you how to set up anyways)

2) Fill in the following information :
    Name : Utonet
    Address : irc.utonet.org
    Port : 6667
    Nick 1 : Your IRC nick (It is advised IMO if you use IRC on your PC to pick a name like "NamePhone" or "Name1" so that when you log in it does not conflict if you have both running otherwise you have to keep logging out your phone to use pc etc)
    Nick 2 / 3 / 4 : Same as Nick 1
    Username : Same as Nick 1

Leave the rest blank and go down to "Authentication - Set up"

Tick "Authenticate with Nickserv" and enter your password you use to "identify" yourself with on your main IRC nick. If you do not yet have a main nick Read right down below at ***

Ok, now on your PC / Main nickname you need to link your usernames so that every time something happens on your main nickname when you log in (rooms you auto join) it now happens on your phone username as well and vice versa. It is basically just a shadow of your username. If your kingdom uses an IRC bot you may need to link with that as well (All linking should be done from your main username!)

So to link, from your pc/phone type

/msg nickserv link "What you put into Nick 1"

If you have done this successfully it will say "Nick 1 is linked" - This name now uses the same password as your main account to log in / verify.

Now before you hit "Utonet" to connect click on options / setting in top right. Go to "Connection"

"Connection timeout" type in here 10000000
    "Detect connection changes" Tick
    "Automatically Reconnect" Tick
    "Reconnect attempt limit" 50000000)

As you are on a mobile and traveling a lot you will obviously lose your connection quite a bit. Doing the steps above will enable your phone to always re-connect automatically without you having to press any buttons.

You will want to play around with "Notifications" until you get your own setting you are comfortable with. I just have mine to vibrate my phone if I get PMed. It is up to you if you want it vibrating every time a room gets a message! (I can imagine this would drain battery so much!)

*** If you do not have a main nickname carry on with the guide and when you get down to here it will say that your nickname is not registered when you connect. Type in

/msg nickserv register Thepasswordyouusedabove YourEmailaddress

You will now receive an email, follow the steps in that and you will be registered. You will now automatically log in every time you connect to IRC!

If you are new and would like to talk to the rest of the community, type in the following to automatically join the most popular community rooms :

/msg nickserv ajoin add #tactics
    /msg nickserv ajoin add #recruiting

This will Auto connect you to these channels when you log in.

Hope this has been informative and we see you soon!

my work place blocked 6667-7000 port =D ... try 7001 if not GL

Odd of Absalom

Beastblood is #oddplay

˙ppo ǝɹɐ noʎ
    #odd
    Odd is a three-edged sword.
    ( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)

Andchat is the best android based irc client, its only flaw is that it cannot do /cs commands (if you use them).

Being a chan op occasionally I need to use these commands so I also use AndroIRC purely to use /cs commands.

Get on Andchat!
    - = Paintrain = -

i use yaaic ... cuz it simple ... connect and forget

Odd of Absalom

Beastblood is #oddplay

˙ppo ǝɹɐ noʎ
    #odd
    Odd is a three-edged sword.
    ( ͡? ͜ʖ ͡?)

Regular
    I personally recommend getting a vps. DigitalOcean offers them for $5 per month. You can then create a user, install the best irc client across any *nix OS, irssi. Install screen which allows you to keep irssi connected all the time. Then from Play Store install irssi connectbot, irssi notifier and hackers keyboard.

Running from mobile seems to cause a lot of reconnections to occur. This allows a completely remote connection to idle all the time even when your phone is off/out of service area etc....

Recommended for addicts and/or people who don't want to spam a channel with reconnection notices via join/quit because they're in a subway or in the country.

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobolob View Post
    Andchat is the best android based irc client, its only flaw is that it cannot do /cs commands (if you use them).

Being a chan op occasionally I need to use these commands so I also use AndroIRC purely to use /cs commands.

Get on Andchat!
    I assume you have tried doing "/msg chanserv"?

I noticed that "/ns" and "/msg ns" did not work and that you had to type up the full information which is annoying

*edit* @Roozed I just turn off the join / rejoin / part msgs :P It may annoy others when I re connect but not me!

Regular
    That's an option @AmericanBadass. I like to be notified when joins happen and occasionally parts. In specific channels anyway. In others I have irssi config'd to ignore them.

EDIT: Good thread though man. =D
    Last edited by Roozed; 23-05-2013 at 15:21. Reason: giving props

Post Fiend
    I use Andchat too and it's great. Something you might want to add is what to enter in the autojoin box for joining multiple key-protected and normal channels:

the format when using key protected channels is #chan1,#chan2,#chanN password1,password2, passwordN. Channels without keys should come last.
    So if you want to autojoin your password protected private channel plus #tactics, simply put these in the "Autojoin" box

#privatechannel, #tactics privatechannelpassword

Notice you have to put #tactics last since it's not key-protected and the password comes after the channels are listed

You guys should also check out Andchat's google group, people there are rather helpful and responsive to suggestions :)

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...!forum/andchat
    Last edited by tamle; 24-05-2013 at 03:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Jobolob View Post

Get on Andchat!
    and chat can do /nickserv and /chanserv you just have to type it out rather then just type /cs. you can also type /query [nickname] [message] to send messages. Im pretty sure it can do everything. But commands are slightly different then MIRC. Mind you they vary in most irc clients.

for joining chans on connect it is much easyier to add them to your ajoin list. That way anytime you login with your nick it automatically joins all channels regardless of what you are on. /ns ajoin add #chan
    My life is better then yours.

Thank you for this useful thread!

http://colloquy.mobi for iPhone is the best!

I have no problems whatsoever with AndroIRC. Works great for me.

Thanks for this info! Trying to get this working.

Forum Fanatic
    Bumping this.

Veteran
    Andchat good for BB? Or is YaaIRC better?
    Age 69 Goal: Make Korp lul

Thread Information