Thread: Congratulations to the age 72 winners!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stealth4785 View Post
    Has to go both ways.

This game is about teamwork. The truest test of the game would be an identical mirror match. Predetermined, identical set ups. Then you choose how you want to measure your success. Now its all about skill; on a micro level, who can manage a province better or on a macro level how a kingdom achieves that objective.
    So. To you it is all measured on single conflicts. But the game is majority played outside of conflicts. Thus, it is the kingdom and province management outside of conflict that is actually the most important part of the game. This is just as it is in all competitions. Basketball, soccer, football, etc. all of these games are more about what happens off the ball than on it.

I think you just need to open your eyes a bit.

Put it another way. You want to ignore over half the game to get to your true test.

We like to play the whole game.

Call us when you want to play utopia instead of checkers.
    "having fun warring when you have whoring and number 1 as a goal is totally pointless..." - Korp
    "while I heart shiester when we both play serious and are in the same kingdom, I hate shiester on the forums and pretty much disagree with everything he says. Even he knows this." - Flogger asking me out on a date

The devs have made a decision to kill competitive utopia and have thereby killed my interest with it.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheister View Post
    So. To you it is all measured on single conflicts. But the game is majority played outside of conflicts. Thus, it is the kingdom and province management outside of conflict that is actually the most important part of the game. This is just as it is in all competitions. Basketball, soccer, football, etc. all of these games are more about what happens off the ball than on it.

I think you just need to open your eyes a bit.

Put it another way. You want to ignore over half the game to get to your true test.

We like to play the whole game.

Call us when you want to play utopia instead of checkers.
    Actually, I don't think you get what I was trying to say. The true measure of success here is putting two or more kingdoms on equal footing, setting a goal and trying to achieve that goal - whatever that goal may be.

Removing every or almost every variable allows for a true test of skill, either on a province level or a kingdom level.

Note, I never specifically said one versus one conflict is the only measure of success in my example; in fact I left it pretty open ended - I believe I even said whether its warring or an age of growth.

For example, let's take Sparta and BB and give them each the same twenty-five race and personality combinations and agree that land charts is how you want to measure success. Now its how well Sparta's twenty five plays against BBs twenty five over the course of the age. Toss in another stipulation - no CFs and you'll get a measure of skill and talent.

Utopia is about province management and teamwork. The game is how you get there - the reason why threads like these exist.

Actually, I don't think you get what I was trying to say. The true measure of success here is putting two or more kingdoms on equal footing, setting a goal and trying to achieve that goal - whatever that goal may be.

Removing every or almost every variable allows for a true test of skill, either on a province level or a kingdom level.

Note, I never specifically said one versus one conflict is the only measure of success in my example; in fact I left it pretty open ended - I believe I even said whether its warring or an age of growth.

For example, let's take Sparta and BB and give them each the same twenty-five race and personality combinations and agree that land charts is how you want to measure success. Now its how well Sparta's twenty five plays against BBs twenty five over the course of the age. Toss in another stipulation - no CFs and you'll get a measure of skill and talent.

Utopia is about province management and teamwork. The game is how you get there - the reason why threads like these exist.
    No. You don't understand the game. Everyone is on equal footing. Then freeze time ends and people start to compete. Some kingdoms suck at prep and making hits and fall behind. That is why you make no sense. You ignore most of the game to have a fantasy in which you have a chance to compete because you can't accept that you can't hang.
    "having fun warring when you have whoring and number 1 as a goal is totally pointless..." - Korp
    "while I heart shiester when we both play serious and are in the same kingdom, I hate shiester on the forums and pretty much disagree with everything he says. Even he knows this." - Flogger asking me out on a date

The devs have made a decision to kill competitive utopia and have thereby killed my interest with it.

Post Fiend
    No. You don't understand the game. Everyone is on equal footing. Then freeze time ends and people start to compete. Some kingdoms suck at prep and making hits and fall behind. That is why you make no sense. You ignore most of the game to have a fantasy in which you have a chance to compete because you can't accept that you can't hang.
    I never stated I cared to compete or wish to compete. I said that the greatest achievement would be a level playing field, identical set ups, identical relations, then competing for a specific goal. I'm sorry you either don't or choose not to understand what I'm trying to explain.

Edit: Same start time, same freeze time, does not constitute equal footing. If two people run a race, one is a professional athlete, one is a child, just because they start at the same time does not mean they are on equal footing.
    Last edited by stealth4785; 13-08-2017 at 15:44. Reason: Explanation for the ignorant

I never stated I cared to compete or wish to compete. I said that the greatest achievement would be a level playing field, identical set ups, identical relations, then competing for a specific goal. I'm sorry you either don't or choose not to understand what I'm trying to explain.

Edit: Same start time, same freeze time, does not constitute equal footing. If two people run a race, one is a professional athlete, one is a child, just because they start at the same time does not mean they are on equal footing.
    You are whining that people can't compete on an equal footing, but they are at the start. Then they separate according to their skill.

You want the game to force mechanics so that more skilled people are held back.

Go read Harrison Bergeron

http://www.tnellen.com/cybereng/harrison.html

Post Fiend
    You are whining that people can't compete on an equal footing, but they are at the start. Then they separate according to their skill.

Maybe we should have 2 land crown rankings; one where jefft can give the crown to his selected winner/friend, and then a real ranking in which the kingdom with the most land at the end of the age wins.

So BB wins the first crown and Spartans wins the second.

This seems fair. Everyone happy.

If they are different skills they arent really on equal footing are they? .. Its absurd to believe just cause everyone starts at 400 acres they are all on equal footing.

Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post
    If they are different skills they arent really on equal footing are they? .. Its absurd to believe just cause everyone starts at 400 acres they are all on equal footing.

No, in a competition all start at the same point and are separated by skill. Stop falling prey to the same mistakes of that other guy.... whatever his nick is.

Would you agree that in a race against Bolt, everyone starts at the starting line? Or should everyone else start 50 meters ahead of him in a 100 meter race? Or should Mr. Bolt have to run the race carrying a 100lb weight?

Post Fiend

I want to know which kingdom is the most talented. In order to do such, I need to eliminate as many variables as possible.

Same kingdom size, same race and personality combinations, same stipulations regarding ceasefires and diplomacy. Pick your goal, whether it be #1 in land, #1 warring, or just a good old fashioned one versus one war, that's how you determine which kingdom is the most talented. At this point its all about strategy, the strength of the individuals and the strength of the kingdom.

I'd put my money on BB (or any other top contending KD for that matter) because Bart has never achieved anything without dealbreaking/cheating or being fed millions of GC to fund his wars.
    Bart has never even dared to compete at the top. If he's so good, why doesn't he compete without cheating/dealbreaking? Bart: I dare you!

As for the CF part: they are part of the game. If you are unable to set your CFs properly, it will hurt you at some point. BB made a dumb mistake to put WSK and Emeriti at the same time. It ended up costing them.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by protector View Post
    I'd put my money on BB (or any other top contending KD for that matter) because Bart has never achieved anything without dealbreaking/cheating or being fed millions of GC to fund his wars.
    Bart has never even dared to compete at the top. If he's so good, why doesn't he compete without cheating/dealbreaking? Bart: I dare you!

As for the CF part: they are part of the game. If you are unable to set your CFs properly, it will hurt you at some point. BB made a dumb mistake to put WSK and Emeriti at the same time. It ended up costing them.
    It was hypothetical, but would be interesting to see how it would play out.

Slippery slope when you talk about ceasefires - they aren't always used as intended. In my hypothetical situation, there would be no ceasefires.

It was hypothetical, but would be interesting to see how it would play out.

Slippery slope when you talk about ceasefires - they aren't always used as intended. In my hypothetical situation, there would be no ceasefires.
    There would be no slippery slope if they are being used as they should. If you agree to CF someone up until YR X, you should stick to that agreement.

Thread Information